Miscellaneous content from the original enlightened caveman. Some serious, some not. Take your chances.

Sunday, September 26, 2004

The Publishing Biz - Episode 3

In the last installment, I mentioned that I had been contacting some publishers who seemed a bit more suited to take my book to market. One editor at a mid-sized publisher of science books recently expressed some interest. We had a great phone conversation where I explained the thesis of my book, why it is unique, and why it has tremendous mainstream potential. Not wanting to waste his time, I also mentioned the difficulties I've had thus far in getting a deal. He did not seem deterred, as he asked me to send along a proposal. With hope in full bloom, I quickly accommodated his request and waited.

I didn't have to wait long, though. Within 24 hours, I had a return email saying that he was going to pass. (There's that hated phrase again.) The guy gave me the same old excuses - I'm not a credentialed scientist, his senior execs would never let him publish something like my book, and so on. I was astonished. Why did he not simply pass when we were on the phone? I told him why others were passing, but he still wanted a proposal. Why? He passed for exactly the same reasons. So, not willing to let it stand with a rejection note, I called him and asked what the problem really was.

He told me that I talked him out of accepting my book. Dumbfounded, I asked if he'd have made a different decision if my proposal was less forthcoming. He said no. Hmm. So, though my proposal apparently spent too much time explaining that I wasn't going to fit into the "formula" that is so sought after in the publishing business, he would have ultimately rejected me anyway, once he came to same conclusion himself. Wow. It's amazing. For whatever reason, I keep coming across these people who just can't get out of their usual modes of operation. But, like I've said before, I am convinced that someone out there has the vision and creativity to see the potential for my book. So, the search goes on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home