Miscellaneous content from the original enlightened caveman. Some serious, some not. Take your chances.

Thursday, September 16, 2004

The Publishing Biz - Episode 2

In March of this year, I attended the Book Expo America (BEA) convention in Chicago. This is THE show for the book industry. Every decent publisher is represented there. There are aisles and aisles of booths for companies that specialize in any genre you can think of. I went because the one agent I had been hoping to convince to represent me finally gave me the thumbs down. In other words, I started feeling desperate. It was then that I decided that I'd try to get published without an agent. This is mainly because getting the endorsement of a reputable agent is every bit as hard as getting to a reputable publisher. So, in my view, it seems more practical for someone who is business-minded like I am to take my chances pitching my work directly to a publisher. If I get a deal working, I have access to deep legal talent that is well-versed with the ins and outs of publishing contracts. More importantly, I can't imagine an agent being as passionate as I am about what I've written, and given the uphill battle I have before me, passion is going to be the key to winning.

Anyway, at BEA, my plan was to approach any publisher that I thought might be interested in my book. I carried with me the sample cover art that I had designed by a talented local artist (check it out here). I also had a fairly well-rehearsed elevator pitch for the book's concept and marketability. The feedback I got was unanimously positive (except one senior editor hated the cover). Every person I spoke with liked the idea of the book and acknowledged that it is unique. Then, the hammer dropped. From there, all I got was, "Are you a scientist? Are you a counselor? Are you a psychiatrist?" "No," I'd say. "You don't need to be scientist to explore the personal implications of a scientific concept. I'm not trying to publish cutting edge science. This is social philosophy that is based upon science. Moreover, no professional scientist, philosopher, or counselor will ever write this book because it would be a bad career move." But they weren't buying. By the time they heard no, their eyes glazed over and I quickly realized I had already been tuned out. Harsh. But hey, that's business.

I also got my share of the, "We don't accept unsolicited manuscripts. You need to have an agent bring this to us." Ahh, I see. You'd rather pay at least 15% more for an idea that you've already acknowledged is interesting and unique? Once again, these were people who were just locked into their little modes of operation and were simply unable to see the big picture I was laying before them.

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, let me just say this. I am solely responsible for what happens with my book. I am sure that the publishing industry is very friendly to people who have what they want. I don't. I have something that has the potential to be VERY lucrative for them, but they don't see it yet. My job is to change their perspective. Reality is reality - it doesn't change. Therefore, if I am going to succeed, I have to see reality as clearly as possible as quickly as possible, so that I can accept what I have to do, and then get on with doing it.

That said, I walked away from BEA with 13 good prospects. These were editors who listened to my pitch and asked me to send them a proposal. Since then, I have followed up with every one. Most have politely rejected me - via email, no less. However, a couple have entertained a few subsequent conversations. One guy, a senior editor at a company that publishes science books, really had me thinking he was gonna bite. We scheduled an hour to talk a few weeks ago. Alas, he began the call by saying he was going to pass. (By the way, it appears that "I'm gonna pass." is as prevalent in the publishing world as it is in Hollywood and kiddie card games.) This guy was really interested in the book, but he said his bosses would never allow him to publish it. I'd need to be a credentialed scientist, he said. Oddly enough, he said that the last couple of books he'd done had tanked, and that he really needed a hit. Ah, I see, so your plan is to continue doing what doesn't work? What can I say? He was scared. Lucky for me, he pointed me to a few folks he knows who might think differently. I'll save the details of that for the next installment. Suffice it to say, I still don't have a deal...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home